- Basic Surgical Training
- Higher Surgical Training
- Clinical Attachment Programme for Examination Eligible Candidate
- Subspecialty Training in General Surgery
- Research Project
- Hospital Inspection
- Simulation Training
- Proctorship Programme for Basic Laparoscopic Surgery
- Regulations and Guideline
Basic Surgical Training takes no less than two years after internship. In this period, Basic Trainees must register with one of the four Surgical Colleges of Hong Kong and the Hong Kong Intercollegiate Board of Surgical Colleges (HKICBSC). HKICBSC composes of the College of Surgeons of Hong Kong (CSHK), the Hong Kong College of Emergency Medicine (HKCEM), the Hong Kong College of Orthopaedic Surgeons (HKCOS) and the Hong Kong College of Otorhinolaryngologists (HKCORL). Basic Training is under the auspices of HKICBSC. A Register of Basic Surgical Trainees is maintained at CSHK.
To enter the Basic Surgical Training Programme of HKICBSC in Hong Kong, applicants must fulfill the following requirements:- One must be registered with the Medical Council of Hong Kong.
- One must obtain a Basic Surgical Training post accredited by the HKICBSC. This post must be from the approved hospitals or institutions in Hong Kong.
Please refer to the “Eligibility for Basic Surgical Training” for further details.
All trainees who decide to enroll into Basic Training Programme under HKICBSC must register with HKICBSC within the first month of training. Failure to register in time will render the respective period of training NOT recognized.
Registration, which includes an annual registration fee, is applicable to all basic trainees until they completed the basic training and passed the Membership Examination of the Hong Kong Intercollegiate Board of Surgical Colleges (MHKICBSC Examination).
Effective from 1 January 2012, basic trainees are required to make payment of their annual registration fee within the first month of the year, i.e. on or before 31st January. A surcharge of 100% will be levied for any late payment after the first month of the year. Those who still fail to settle the outstanding fee within the first three months of the year, i.e. on or before 31st March, will be removed from HKICBSC Register.
Only paid-up Basic Surgical Trainees are allowed to take the MHKICBSC Examination.
Please refer to the “Policy on Annual Subscription” for further details.
Applicants are requested to attach the following required documents to support information given in the application. These copies are not returnable and will be verified in due course.
Certified True Copy of:
- University Certificate (Basic Medical Qualification)
- Letter certifying registrable qualification with the Medical Council of Hong Kong; or Medical Registration Ordinance - Annual Practising Certificate
- MHKICBSC Examination Result Slip (Part 1/2) (if any)
- Other relevant examinations/qualifications (if any)
A crossed cheque with the amount of HKD 2,600 payable to “The College of Surgeons of Hong Kong Limited”. The cheque will be returned to the applicant by post if the application is unsuccessful.
Remark: A processing fee of HKD 100 will be charged for any unsuccessful application, including incomplete application